July 11th - Christmas in July Triangle Tree by Ruth




Several people have asked for Christmas patterns because they start tatting for Christmas THIS EARLY in the year. Well, OK, I get it. When my kids were little (ages and ages ago ) I didn't have a lot of time to do what I wanted to do, and couldn't just sit and tat if I wanted to. I remember those days. I just don't remember where I put my keys that were in my hand a minute ago...


Here is a little triangle, about 1.5 " on each side when tatted in Flora size 20 thread. The photo is a green one, which when decorated with beads, and sequins, etc. makes an excellent Christmas tree. Put a Clapper at the bottom and it's a bell.


If you don't celebrate Christmas stay tuned, tomorrow a 6 point star.


I started with the narrow edging pattern by Riego from the Royal Tatting book. I changed it so it is more like the pattern I used to tat trees to put on Christmas cards. I know that pattern is in a book, but I don't know what book. What I didn't like about the pattern I used then was that you tatted the center, all rings, then cut and tie, then tat the outside row, cut and tie, hide the ends. I am lazy. I don't like to cut and tie, and I don't like to hide ends.

This pattern is tatted in one round and requires 2 shuttles wound with green thread Continuous Thread Method, CTM. When the triangle is completed, you may wish to tat a brown tree trunk at the bottom. I'll leave that up to you. If you put it on a card you can use a marker to make the tree trunk.


Instructions:


Begin with ring A in the center, shuttle 2 (Shuttle 2 rings are in yellow on the diagram)


RingA ( 6 Large Picot 6 ) this picot will have all the other center rings join to it.


Shuttle 1


Chain ( 3 ) turn


RingB ( 4 - 4 - 4 )

RingC ( 4 - 4 - 4 ) turn

Chain ( 3 )

Shuttle 2
RingD ( 6 Large Picot 6 )

Shuttle 1
RingE ( 3 + 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 ) turn

Chain (3) turn

RingF ( 3 + 5 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 3 ) turn

Chain (3)

RingG ( 3 + 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 ) turn

Chain ( 3 )

shuttle 2
Ring ( 6 + 6 )


Continue tatting around, tie the ends at the beginning,
hide the ends and trim off close to the work.
Decorate the tree while you tat with beads and whatever,
or sew the decorations on after it is completed.